January 23, 2011

Don't Forget Adapters!

I am 5 hours and 20 minutes away from leaving to EUROPE! And I just ran to target to grab some adapters because I COMPLETELY forgot that I cannot plug my electronics in the European outlets! It's a little weird though, because I tripled checked on other sites about what to pack and NONE of them mentioned adapters! So don't forget if you ever go abroad!

Also, when packing, I highly recommend using SPACE BAGS! They pretty much allowed me to make all my clothes look like Space ice-cream, which is ironic, but extremely useful to conserve space! I just hope the airline security doesn't get too curious and decide to open one up...because then I'm screwed. But unfortunately, I was not able to fit everything into one suitcase, (because I put a blanket and pillow in one space bag). So I will have one giant suitcase, a small travel backpack (which will come in handy to travel Europe!), along with my guitar (as a carry-on). I will not bore you with everything I packed, but if you want, (which I doubt anyone will) contact me and I'll send you my check-list!

Anyways, my flight leaves from Miami at 6:30 PM and arrives at Madrid at 8:55 AM. I have some time in Madrid and then depart to Amsterdam at 12:10, arriving at 14:40 (European time!). From Amsterdam I must take a train to Utrecht Central (33min ride for about 8 euros), and then decide if I can handle carrying all of my luggage onto a city bus (for 2 euros) or suck it up, and take a taxi for an unknown amount of euros :[
I will arrive at Utrecht around 1700 or 5pm (at which time the sun will be setting! Also, it only rises at 830 am!) to join the already in progress WEEK long orientation. The schedule received for orientation is 90% getting to know the other 60 exchange students. We are scheduled by the school to go ice-skating, on a city tour, bike tour, movie night, pub crawl, jazz night, ( yea pub crawl! by the school!) and each night ends with a party in the ON CAMPUS bar! *email me for the entire schedule!*

I thought it was funny! (It says Air Holland!)

I think the school is attempting to make a comfortable environment for the students. With a party every night, they are also trying to make a safe environment for students who believe that studying abroad is all party (especially in the Netherlands). This way students will not get lost in the city; they will most likely satisfy their party cravings, and be able to meet as many new students as possible.

Hmmm, I am not sure if there is anything else I should mention before I depart except HOW EXCITED I AM! I am nervous, , scared, anxious, happy, sad, and everything mixed together! I cannot wait to find out who my roommates are (6-12 of them I have been told!), whether or not I will have a double room or single (hopefully single!), and how beautiful the city is! My classes are still not finalized until I arrive there, so I am hoping to receive all the classes I requested (cross-cultural psych, cognitive psych, clinical psych, and possibly chemistry).

This is about to be the newest adventure in my life. I will learn and grow in ways I have never imagined in the next six months and I hope that you will keep reading and join me and my future friends on future adventures!

Speak with you in about one week! (LIVE FROM UTRECHT!)

Vaarwel!

No comments:

Post a Comment